Friday, October 5, 2012

Breaking Amish

      I have been watching Breaking Amish going on I think...four weeks now. And I have loved EVERY episode of it. I am most definitely obsessed now and I have gotten others to watch the show as well! I bother all my friends to watch because it's that amazing. I got really excited while watching the last one because he got off at the stop my aunt lives at! 111th Jamaice Avenue. He got off there to go a driving lesson. The Amish do not use anything powered by electricity so they do not know how to drive cars. On another episode they all got cell phones and I was so happy to see how excited they were! I was kind of more excited than them...don't judge me. 
      I thought the reason behind them not being able to have cellphones was interesting. They don't want them to have cell phones because then they will have contact with people outside of the Amish community and might be persuaded to decide to leave. I would have to say that my favorite of them is Sabrina. It used to be Jeremih but now that Sabrina went out, found her Puerto Rican side and became beautiful she's definitely my fav! It sounds superficial but it's really not...once again don't judge me >.< 
      She seems to be letting her personality show now that she feels better about herself. It's really fun to go on this exploration of a whole new world with them. I love seeing their reactions to something that is every day life to me. To things that, as Americans, should not shock us so much. They're just much a foreigner as someone from Africa is. 
       Jeremih, of the guys, decided while the others went to go get sushi that he would go off and do his own thing. "I came here to be with English people Amish people" was explanation for leaving them. Jeremih explained the "English" term while getting a tattoo, something that is beyond forbidden in the Amish country. He said that now that he has one there is definitely no way he can ever be accepted back into his culture. But back to the English! They call us that because we speak English. They speak Dutch. So when everyone went out to get new clothes, everyone was excited because they were "English" clothes. 
      While others simply tried to find their English side Sabrina, who was adopted into an English family but actually Puerto Rican and white, wanted to find mout more about her Puerto Rican heritage. Sabrina went about trying to find out where to go the same way she would if she were back at home...bad idea. Sabrina was trying to find out where to go to be around Puerto Ricans so she decided to ask random people for help...now we all know not to ask people in NYC for help because we know we probably won't get an answer or even a reply. She was asking around and no would answer her some just blatantly ignored her. She said if she was back home someone would have pulled a map and highlighted the path she had to take. Welcome to the English world guys. Everyone should definitely tune in next weekend Sunday at 10 PM to join the journey with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment